Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Day At The Zoo

After deciding that I was sick of museums I decided to use the last day of my pass at the London Zoo.  It had snowed again so I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to get in.

Well, hey there, Sherlock!
The zoo website provided three options for getting there.  One was the Baker Street tube stop.  Since I hadn't been to Baker Street yet, I decided I'd better go there.  For the Sherlock Holmes lover, the Tube station itself was wonderful.  By the way, I've never seen the new movies.  I just love the books.

 Unfortunately, I got on a bus going the wrong direction.  It wasn't until I got to Marble Arch--almost home--that I realized that I hadn't quite paid enough attention to where I was.  I hopped off the bus, got back on the Tube to head back.  This time I picked the Regent's Park stop.  I couldn't find the bus so I decided to just walk through the park.  I was pretty glad I had because it was snowy and beautiful.

The worst part was a very creepy guy who hit on me.  I don't know why I tend to attract creepers... Anyways, I was able to be polite but firm and went along my merry way.

A frozen fountain




Finally, after wandering around for two hours, I made it to the zoo.  Thank goodness!  My first stop was the Aquarium.  I saw sting rays and seahorses for the first time!


In the next area I went most of the animals were inside because of the cold.  I don't really blame them.  I was wearing two pairs of leggings, a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, a coat, a scarf, two pairs of mittens, and my boots.  It was a good thing too because I managed to stay warm.




Okapi

I've always wanted to see a zebra!


Oh.  Hey there!

 My favorite areas were places that you could walk around and most of the animals were wandering around not in cages.  A monkey ran right over my boot!

The monkey that touched me

Can you see the baby monkey?


SLOTH! :D
 I loved that area.  I spent quite a bit of time in the monkey house.  Yes, they let me out.  Ha ha.
Meercat

Ring-tailed lemur... and my reflection







I'd never seen lions before either!




Ew... statue to dung beetles.  I skipped the bug house.  But I did go see the rats.  Mostly on accident.





 At the llama enclosure I had a discussion with a zookeeper about whether it was okay to eat llamas.  Now British people think I'm a terrible person and it's all CJ's fault.  If you haven't heard the story, I have a friend who had pet llamas.  He turned them into jerky.  I ate some.
Bunnies



 I've always wanted to see giant tortoises too!


The Outback.  The Wallabys were hiding but I could kind of see them





 Me in front of the cage the snake was in Harry Potter 1








All together a very satisfying day!

After that I ate dinner with the Masons again, this time the other professor and his wife but all of the kids, then had a Monopoly showdown.  I lost but it was still fun.

Then early this morning a few people came back.  I won't be alone anymore!

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of the snow-lined trees in Regents Park. The kind of monkey that touched you is my favorite. Love those. Also love meerkats. Loved the picture of the giraffe looking out the window. I didn't know London even HAD a zoo. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, especially after seeing Harry Potter. You actually got to be there! So cool! (I want to go back. I want to go back.)

    I also love Monopoly. I wish I could get an entire family to play with me. Great day. Cool. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the flamingos in the snow, the shot of the tiger (cool), and the wooly sheep.

    My husband's reading me the cases of Sherlock Holmes. Kinda wishing I had stopped off in Baker Street.

    ReplyDelete