Friday, January 13, 2012

100% English Mud

Since I know a lot of you are probably going to ask, the ankles are still pretty bad but they do seem to be recovering.  I've discovered a way of walking that helps.  Sure, I look like an idiot, but it's better than going down the stairs on my rear end like a little kid or having one of the guys grab me and put me over his shoulder and haul me upstairs because I told him I was fine and didn't need any help.  The thing is, there are 66 stairs from the bottom of this place (also, the only place we're allowed to have food) to my dorm.  It's kind of a long walk.  Anyways.  I think they are recovering.  We'll see how it is tomorrow since I need to go on a walk to make up for the one I missed.  I still haven't been to Kensington Gardens or Hyde Park which is awful.

But anyways.  Today was our first FIELD TRIP!

Amazing, huh?



We all piled into the coach at ten o'clock and headed out of the city into the lovely... well, not so city.  There were some great views of the river and the nature.  It's amazing how many trees are covered with moss.  It's really pretty even though there aren't any leaves on the trees.  Our first stop was Runnymede, where the Magna Carta was signed by King John (think Robin Hood).  There's also a memorial to President Kennedy there.  Actually the whole place seemed very American.  I think the monument where the Magna Carta was signed was covered in stuff about the American group that sponsored it but I didn't go up too close to look.  My ankles felt like they were burning.  I got close enough to see it and I was done.  Walking up the memorial was pretty rough on them.  We also trekked through this huge field of grass... and mud.  More mud than grass.  100% pure English mud.  I kept telling myself that as I squished-squished-squished through the field, covered my shoes in the stuff (why wasn't I wearing the ugly pair?), and got most of my jeans covered while I was at it.  On the way back to the coach, I was walking close to Dr N and he was asking me how things were going.  I'm so grateful that the professors so obviously care about how things are going.  They're fantastic.  The other day I was feeling really sick in class and afterwards he came up and asked me if I needed to talk or anything.  They're both hilarious too.  In the past I've had a strict "avoid professors at all costs" rule but so far Dr N and Dr M have been one of the best things about the program.  Also good things I don't want to forget.  My roomies are great.  It's a little hard getting used to being in a room with so many other people but last night we had a telling awkward boy stories night.  It was fantastic.  I've wanted to do that since I started college.  Boy talk with the roomies I mean.  Also, the guys here are wonderful.  I was so impressed by their willingness to give me a blessing the other day and how helpful they are.  This is a really good group of people I've got the opportunity to be with.  I like every single person here a lot.  Now I've just got to get past the being shy/awkward/uncomfortable parts in me so they can get to know that I'm awesome too.

Mud after I'd wiped most of it off.  Yup, walked
around the castle like this
Next we took a look at Windsor Castle!  And yes, I walked around on the inside with my muddy feet.  I felt so bad!  The most impressive thing was the dollhouse.  If you've never heard of Queen Mary's Dollhouse, google it RIGHT NOW.  I got to see it and it's amazing.  It has working plumbing and electricity, miniature crown jewels, everything.  The state apartments were closed this week so we couldn't go in but I saw some cool drawings and the china collection.  Again, by asking the lovely people there I learned some interesting things.  The best was in St. George's chapel where I think the group in general really impressed the people there.  Word spread of the "Group of students from Utah" and one guy even came to find us because someone had told him that we were awesome.  I think that if you let people know that you're interested and want to learn, they'll do a lot of things to show you around and help you discover things.  Show interest in what other people are interested in and you get a big bonus too!  We walked over the graves of a couple of kings and got to peak into where the queen sits when she's in the chapel.  The guy was so reluctant to let us go but we learned a lot of things from him.  Since the apartments were closed we had quite a bit of extra time.  We went to the village and most people got something to eat.  Then we decided to walk to Eton College, the famous boy's school.  So maybe some of us miss, y'know, boys.  Who cares if they're 14 years old?

We walked over and have some good times going boy spotting.  They were awfully cute in their little tailcoats and things.  I probably shouldn't say that.  They're all super rich and might get offended by being called cute.  There was also a guy who may have been a professor who was riding a bike around and let me tell you.  He was attractive!  After we'd walked around a little we finally worked up the courage to ask two of the older boys wandering around if they would take a picture with us.  A couple of other girls asked a couple of other guys.  When they showed us the pictures, we all screamed (well, y'know, the GIRLS did.  The guys just laughed at us).  He didn't even look real he was so good looking.  We're talking Ken doll here. I'll post the picture I was in later.

At 3:45 we all went back on the bus, ate dinner, and then most of us were exhausted so we all headed to do homework/play on Facebook/blog.  I'm so glad I was able to do something today.  I've been going crazy being in London and not doing anything cool for the last few days.  Tomorrow, though.  Tomorrow is going to be an adventure.  I'm excited.  :D



Changing of the Guard
Darn sun shining in my eyes!
Pretending to be in the guard

River Thames










2 comments:

  1. The group you are in sounds wonderful. I am glad that you are letting them help you. Right now you have challenges (with your ankles) that you fear will make things difficult for others as well as you. Our William has perpetual challenges fitting that description. If we kept him from participating in activities in order to make things easier for others, he would not be the only loser for it. Your group needs you, no matter what state your ankles are in. It sounds like they are more than willing to help you be with them. Easier isn't better than everyone getting to experience together all you are there to experience.

    I didn't get to experience Windsor Castle when I was there. (It was recovering from a fire.) I also didn't explore the white tower much. So I LOVE your pictures and descriptions! (The pic of you looking for the enemy is my favorite.) Thank you thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. You can remove my failed comment attempts if you want to.

    I love how you love to learn, and so the people around you are eager to share more. Makes it more insightful for we blog readers too.

    ReplyDelete